Rubbish Rocky Road Cakes
Okay, so that title might not be entirely inspiring, but it’s more polite than what my husband calls them 😉 These sweet treats are a great way to use up all those leftover baking ingredients! Found yourself with some leftover chopped nuts, dried fruit or glacé cherries? Just throw them in! 🙂 Same goes for the end of your muesli, rice crispies, packet of biscuits, or that chocolate bar at the back of the cupboard!
I’ve been making variations on this recipe for years. I usually make mine in cupcake cases so that if they end up a bit crumbly it doesn’t matter 🙂 Other people make it as a tray and chop it into slices. Sometimes I use just a few ingredients, other times a little of everything! So my recipe is for the basic chocolate mixture and then suggestions for other ingredients 🙂
I usually manage to make about 24 of these sweet treats from this recipe 🙂 The more ingredients you add the more you’ll make, but the more likely they are to fall apart (not exactly a problem, just not as easy to eat!) 🙂
- 150g Dark chocolate
- 150g Milk chocolate
- 125g Butter
- 3 tbsp Golden Syrup
Additional Ingredients for a Basic Rocky Road
- 300g Digestive Biscuits (in small pieces)
- 100g Mini Marshmallows
Alternative Ingredients Used in Today’s Photos
- 100g Glacé Cherries
- 150g Ginger Nut Biscuits
- 100g Pumpkin Seeds
- 75g Mini Marshmallows
- 50g Chopped Dates
- 50g Chopped Nuts
- 100g Dried Apricots
- 100g Sesame Seeds
- Prepare all your ingredients – by which I mean crumble/chop/smash the biscuits into small pieces, chop any larger items into small pieces (e.g. I usually cut dried apricots into quarters), and break up the chocolate.
- Put the butter and golden syrup and chocolate into a large saucepan and heat over a low-medium heat stirring constantly until everything melts together.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for a little while – long enough to prepare cupcake cases! 🙂
- Add all your ingredients other than the marshmallows into the pan and mix it all up.
- Finally add the marshmallows and give it another good stir (they will melt if you add them too early!)
- Fill up your cupcake cases or tray with the mixture.
- Place in a fridge for as long as you can resist them to firm up the chocolate 😉
Variations are easy! Start with the Basic Rocky Road recipe, take out some of the biscuits, and replace with your favourite sweet treats 🙂 Here are some more suggestions for great additions:
- Malteasers (chopped in half)
- Mars/Snickers/Bounty/Favourite chocolate bar (chopped into pieces)
- Raisins, Dried Apple, Dried Mango
- Meringue pieces
- Smarties for added colour
Basically, anything will go in these and make awesome treats 🙂 Go for super indulgent chocolate madness, or pretend to be healthy with some dried fruit and nuts 🙂 What are you going to put in yours? 🙂
I am so glad I’m coming over to your place this weekend!! ~M x